If you are in a crisis or if you or any other person may be in danger - please do not use this page.
Our Emergency Numbers can provide you with immediate support.
Please see important info around our services below.
Our Scope of Services
Grace Counselling offers lay Christian counselling** and our counsellors are trained to this end. Our counsellors cannot counsel within the scope of any mental health diagnoses / addictions / major depression. They will work within their skills to assist you to work through any life-issues you may be facing. If they feel you need further assistance, they will recommend a referral.
**Lay Christian counsellors are volunteers trained in Christian counselling [they are not psychologists]. They will come alongside you and help guide you toward a healthy relationship with God and offer Biblically-based tools and support.
Our Counselling Sites
We offer online counselling services on the secured Zoom platform www.zoom.us [you just need to sign up for free with the email address you have provided us] – you just need a webcam enabled laptop or computer and a private and quiet space to receive an hour’s counselling each week.
We also offer in-person counselling at
- our Ballito, Cornubia and Riverside Campuses [Mon - Thu 0800-2000, Fri 0800-1300]
- Harvest Church in Somerset Park [Harvest is only available Mon 0800-2000 and Tue 1700-2000]
For telephone counselling, please use the SADAG 24-hour toll free counselling line on 0800456789.
How We Work
- Counsellors work in pairs | Our counsellors work in pairs for both accountability, and as part of our Counsellor Mentor / Mentee Programme.
- We have a waiting list | As we are a donations-based service, we do have a waiting list - the more flexible you are with your available times, the easier it is to find counsellors for you.
- Commitment from you to your weekly sessions | If you agree to counselling at Grace, you will need to be able to attend weekly one-hour sessions, same day and time each week, for a period of 6-9 weeks.
- Diarising your sessions | Counsellors travel to our sites specifically for their weekly one-hour sessions. These counsellors volunteer various hours between 0800-2000 Monday to Thursday and 0800-1300 on Fridays.
- Donating for your sessions | We are a donations-based service to the community [recommended R100 per session where people can afford]. These funds go to the upkeep of our sites, providing resources, and upskilling our counsellors.
We refer out for the following:
- Immediate / Emergency sessions | We are not first responders in the counselling space. Please look at our professionals on www.gracecounselling.org.za/professionals. Some registered professionals may be covered by your medical aid, or alternatively connect with LifeLine or Independent Crisis Team if finances are an issue. Please also see Emergency numbers that could also help.
- Telephone counselling | We do not offer this service. Please use SADAG's 24-hour toll free line on 0800456789
- We cannot counsel minors 18 years and under | Please see http://www.gracecounselling.org.za/professionals/help-for-children. If funds are an issue please connect with the UKZN Psychology Clinic 0312607425 / firstname.lastname@example.org or connect with ChildLine on 0800 055 555.
- Premarital counselling | We recommend couples connect with the pastor / church marrying them for sessions / classes. If there are issues in the relationship that need to be resolved, we can however assist.
- Trauma counselling | Please connect with North Durban Victim Support on 066 483 8589.
- Addictions and substance abuse | We refer all our requests for these services to Project Exodus, our partners in Addictions Recovery.You can mail them on email@example.com. To download the Project Exodus Recovery App, go to https://qrco.de/exodusrecovery
Other Counselling Support Services
We have free Support Groups for the following, and all are welcome:
Let's Just Talk! - for all those affected by life struggles, anxiety and / or depression
- Thursdays 1830-2030 at Grace Family Church Riverside Campus
Addictions Recovery Support for those struggling with substance abuse / addiction and their family and friends
- Mondays 1830-2000 at Grace Family Church Riverside Campus
- Tuesdays 1830-2030 at Grace Family Church Ballito Campus
- Tuesdays and Thursdays online on Zoom ID 464717982 Password Recover
- Thursdays 1830-2000 at Grace Family Church Cornubia Campus
Please see emergency numbers that could also help.
For grief resources please click here.
If you have read through the above, are in agreement, and would like to apply for lay counselling with Grace, please complete the following form:
Please do not complete this form on behalf of another person.
Enzo Sinisi, a clinical psychologist and practising psychoanalyst in Cape Town shares an in-depth look at how to access public mental health services.
South Africa (16 July 2020) – If you have reached the point where you know you need help, but you cannot access private health care and you aren’t sure where to turn next, then this article is for you. We will look at:
- What brings people to counselling and other mental health services?
- What if you do not want to or are not able or ready to meet with a mental health professional?
- How do mental health services in the public health system work?
- How do you find nearby services?
- In an emergency, what should you do?
- What if a family member or friend needs to go to the hospital but refuses?
A useful site that was listed was www.therapyroute.com
For more on this article, click here.