IN PERSON AND ONLINE
LAY COUNSELLING AT
If you are in a crisis or if you or any other person may be in danger - please do not use this page.
Our Emergency Numbers can provide you with immediate support.
Please see important info around our services below.
Our Scope of Services
Grace Counselling offers lay Christian counselling and our counsellors are trained as such.
Our lay counsellors are not professional therapists but will work within their skills to guide you through any life issues you may be facing.
If you have a mental health diagnosis/major depression/complex PTSD your counsellor/s may recommend a referral to a Professional.
We refer to the following service providers for the following - please use the contacts provided:
- Immediate / Emergency sessions | We are not first responders in the counselling space. Please look at our professionals on www.gracecounselling.org.za/professionals. Some registered professionals may be covered by your medical aid, or alternatively connect with LifeLine or Independent Crisis Team if finances are an issue. Please also see Emergency numbers that could also help.
- Telephone counselling | We do not offer this service. Please use SADAG's 24-hour toll free line on 0800 456 789.
- Minors 18 years and under | Please see http://www.gracecounselling.org.za/professionals/help-for-children. If funds are an issue please connect with the UKZN Psychology Clinic 0312607425 / email@example.com or connect with ChildLine on 0800 055 555.
- Premarital counselling | We recommend couples connect with the pastor / church, marrying them for sessions / classes. If there are issues in the relationship that need to be resolved, we can, however assist.
- Trauma or abuse counselling | Please connect with North Durban Victim Support on 066 483 8589.
- Addictions and substance abuse | We refer addictions related requests to Project Exodus, our partners in Addictions Recovery.You can mail them on firstname.lastname@example.org or call / WhatsApp 082 692 3999. To download the Project Exodus Recovery App, go to https://qrco.de/exodusrecovery ***
Our Counselling Sites
We offer online counselling services on the secured Zoom platform www.zoom.us [you just need to sign up for free with the email address you have provided us] – you just need a webcam enabled laptop or computer and a private and quiet space to receive an hour’s counselling each week.
We also offer in-person counselling at
- our Ballito, Cornubia and Riverside Campuses [Mon - Thu 0800-2000, Fri 0800-1300]
- Harvest Church in Somerset Park [Harvest is only available Mon 0800-2000 and Tue 1700-2000]
For telephone counselling, please use the SADAG 24-hour toll free counselling line on 0800456789.
How We Work
- Counsellors work in pairs | Our counsellors work in pairs for both accountability, and as part of our Counsellor Mentor / Mentee Programme.
- We have a waiting list | As we are a donations-based service, we do have a waiting list - the more flexible you are with your available times, the easier it is to find counsellors for you.
- Commitment from you to your weekly sessions | If you agree to counselling at Grace, you will need to be able to attend weekly one-hour sessions, same day and time each week, for a period of 6-9 weeks.
- Diarising your sessions | Counsellors travel to our sites specifically for their weekly one-hour sessions. These counsellors volunteer various hours between 0800-2000 Monday to Thursday and 0800-1300 on Fridays.
- Donating for your sessions | We are a donations-based service to the community [recommended R100 per session where people can afford]. These funds go to the upkeep of our sites, providing resources, and upskilling our counsellors.
Other Counselling Support Services
We have free Support Groups for the following, and all are welcome:
Addictions Recovery Support for those struggling with substance abuse / addiction and their family and friends
- Mondays 1830-2000 at Grace Family Church Riverside Campus [All]
- Tuesdays 1830-2030 at Grace Family Church Ballito Campus
- Wednesdays 1900-200 Online on Zoom, Meeting ID 66381030, Password: Restore [Supporters]
- Saturdays [Spiritual Principles] 1900-200 Online on Zoom, Meeting ID 464717982, Password, Recover [All]
Please also find further support groups at www.projectexodus.net.groups
Let's Just Talk! ... Support for those struggling with life issues / anxiety / depression:
- Thursdays 1900-2000 at Grace Family Church Riverside Campus [starting 30/03/23]
Please see emergency numbers that could also help.
For grief resources please click here.
If you have read through the above, are in agreement, and would like to apply for lay counselling with Grace, please complete the following form:
Please do not complete this form on behalf of another person.
I NEED COUPLES / RELATIONSHIP / MARRIAGE COUNSELLING
How to access public mental health services in South Africa
Enzo Sinisi, a clinical psychologist and practising psychoanalyst in Cape Town shares an in-depth look at how to access public mental health services.
South Africa (16 July 2020) – If you have reached the point where you know you need help, but you cannot access private health care and you aren’t sure where to turn next, then this article is for you. We will look at:
- What brings people to counselling and other mental health services?
- What if you do not want to or are not able or ready to meet with a mental health professional?
- How do mental health services in the public health system work?
- How do you find nearby services?
- In an emergency, what should you do?
- What if a family member or friend needs to go to the hospital but refuses?
A useful site that was listed was www.therapyroute.com
For more on this article, click here.